Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ode to Fast Food

Since moving back to Texas, I have rediscovered fast food. Every small town in Texas has a Dairy Queen, and I can only pass up the temptation of a White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Blizzard (Blizzard of the Month) for so long. (To illustrate how ridiculous this is, remember I am lactose intolerant and Blizzards make me miserable. Turns my stomach into a cement mixer kind of miserable. ) And since I am stopping, why not add on some chicken fingers? Hmmm? I've had more fast food in the past four months than I have had in the last decade. In an attempt to end my downward spiral in to the poor eating habits of Middle America, I have penned this Ode to Fast Food. Enjoy.


Fast Food, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Burgers, Foot Longs, Chicken Fingers with White Gravy...
Blizzards of every flavor, and Peanut Buster Parfait.
You make me throw up but I eat you anyway.
Oh Dairy Queen, the delicious food haven of every town over pop. 600, as your advertising claims, "That's what I like about Texas!"

Car hops, tater tots and Cherry-Lime Slushes
Thank you for having Grilled Chicken Wrap so I can pretend I am eating something healthy, but we all know tortillas are murder.
Sonic you are fast food that pretends not to be, plus you have a view of the beach, what could be more appropriate?

Popeye, thank you for starting a food chain that has nothing to do with canned spinach.
Your spicy fried chicken is heaven on earth, your biscuits are divine. Red beans and rice, corn on the cob and mac-n-cheese are your choice of sides. Large or small? Large! You bet! More carbs please!

Wendy you make my buger of choice. Who knew corners could be so delicious? Big Classic with cheese, biggie fries and Frosty to go! Your new Toffee Coffee Frosty is especially decadent, creamy and crunchy at the same time. Brilliant.

Breakfast tacos with chorizo, eggs and cheese. Thank you for giving me a reason to eat fast food for breakfast. Chips, queso, soft warm tortillas. Fajitas to go. Taco Cabana you are a Texas treasure. If they knew about you north of the border we'd be overrun by yankees.

Oh fast food you make me instantly gratified, but our torrid affair must end. You are delicious but you make me feel dirty inside. I can't live this way. I am going back to whole grains, lean proteins and non-starchy vegetables. Farewell, farewell. I'll always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment