Thursday, March 5, 2009

Redneck Riviera Booze Cruise

Robert is one of my few high school friends that I keep up with, and he is one of an even smaller subset who is still in Rockport… lucky for me. He and his wife have been having me over almost every Friday night.

There are many things one should know about Robert. He is one of the first people I knew when I moved to Rockport in 8th grade. That means I have known him for 21 years. Yes, 21 years. He was my first boyfriend’s (David) best friend (more on that later). Robert still likes me even though I played a rather large roll in the fiasco that got him sent off to military school( a story for another time). I appreciate his friendship. A lot.

Robert is living the Rockport Dream… i.e.: hunting guide during hunting season, fishing guide during fishing season and complete bum between seasons. Robert met his wife Jenn when he was working in recruiting in Connecticut. She was his boss. And she is ten years older than him. I think she is great and so obviously perfect for him, I am so glad that he is with someone I want to be friends with. I love seeing my friends deliriously happy.

So anyway, last Friday I went to Robert and Jenn’s for dinner and drinks. They have a little house on a canal that leads out to the bay, patio, boats, bbq… you get the picture. Its a total bachelor pad with a great wine selection.

His two neighbors were in attendance. One they were very excited to introduce me to, Jason: who is our age, single, and apparently doesn’t work either; and the other a really old guy who has a crack whore living with him who claims one of his wives was advance for Reagan and Bush I. So as usual, the conversation was scintillating. Robert grilled a feast of trout, shrimp (bacon wrapped… unnnghghgllll) and redfish and I swear it was the best seafood I have had since I have been here. Afterward Rob decided we were going on a booze cruise.

It was a little damp out but it was totally worth it. We could see the STARS. And wildlife! And did you know that Farrah Faucett was from Corpus Christi? Well we floated by her HOUSE! There was beer, dogs and country music. It was fun, and made me very reminiscent of my girlhood in Rockport. Good times. Why did I ever leave?

Sooo Robert gets a phone call while we are on the boat. It’s Austin. My ex-boyfriend David’s little brother (do I still have to count him as an ex if it was from 8th grade? Robert says yes.). Austin is at the house, and we have to cruise back to port. When we get back Austin and his friend are waiting for us.

Robert: Austin! This is Ginny! She used to date David the year you were born!

Gaaaaahhhhh!

Anyway, sweet kid, a lot like his bro but not nearly as good looking. It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment