Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rocky Horror Weekend

Several Sundays ago, Kay called us to see if we wanted to go to dinner at Paradise Key. No reason for me to get up on a Monday morning so I’m game. Another of the ladies, Mary A., joined us. At dinner, Mary told us about her granddaughter who goes to Southwestern University and is starring in the Rocky Horror Show that the theatre department is putting on.

Me: Oh we should totally GO!!! That would be so fun!

Kay: We could stay with my niece!

Mary: I’ll find out how to get tickets!

By the time we got home, Kay had called her grandson, James (aka Bubba or Bub) to drive us to Austin. By ten o’clock the next morning I had the link to the website for Rocky Horror tickets with instructions to buy six tickets. Done.

Sidebar: There are unpronounceable-polish-vodka (UPV) filled moments when my mom and Kay openly fantasize about how great it would be if James and I got together. So I am totally aware what is going on at this point.

James is 27.

We eventually added a seventh to the party, Christina, Kay’s granddaughter and James’s sister. I know her from my 2007 Vegas trip with my mom and Kay for Christina’s 30th birthday. She is a quiet one, I like her a lot but I think she is a little unsure of me. I think I made major inroads with her this particular weekend, I am going to win her over eventually.

So the big day finally rolls around ( it’s the day after the Booze Cruise for me, I don’t know what everyone else’s excuse was) , we (Me, Mom, Kay, James and Christina, and New Puppy Lilly) all pile into Kay’s minivan. James drives, I am co-pilot/navigatress. Mom and Kay sit in the bucket seats in the next row, Christina has the back bench so she could nap- she is a nurse, and got off shift at 7:00 AM.

We have Christina’s GPS and that is the main means to guide us to Kay’s niece’s house (Susan), and that is fine except anyone with any GPS experience knows that you sometimes have to use your own judgment and override some of the ridiculous instructions it gives you. Well GPS disagreed with Kay’s way to get to Austin. And James opted to take the GPS way rather than Kay’s way. A brave man in my opinion.

Long story short: We got there. With the chaperones in the back seat James and I made forced conversation (I KNEW that I had to initiate conversation, lest I be the one to blame for the match not being made. )

G: I hear you are graduating soon?

J: Yes. In May.

G: Are you planning a big party to celebrate?

J: Welll…

And blah and blah and blah.

We finally arrive at Susan and Mike’s home in Austin. It was one of those slightly older homes ( 25-30 years old) that has been completely remodeled and looks incredible. They had the biggest television I have ever seen, and an incredible movie and game selection and… most importantly an authentic Darth Vadar mask! I heart these people!

Eventually we make it to Georgetown to see the play and I have a moment of panic. I haven’t seen Rocky Horror in at least 10 years and I kind of forgot how risqué it was. And I’ve never seen it live.

It was really, really randy.

I was worried that the older crowd was going to be offended. See, I never know which Mom is going to show up. The Catholic School Girl or the Good Time Gal? Luckily it was the GTG.
It was a great production and everyone loved it. Except Christina, who didn’t come back after intermission. So whatev.

Afterward we played a game called “Screw Your Neighbor”. Awesome, awesome card game. The premise is: everyone is dealt one card, and you can either keep it or trade with the person on the left. Don’t want to be stuck with the lowest card (ace is low, king is high). It is so fun! We played til 4 AM.

So James. I don’t think either of us felt as though there was going to be a romance there, but he is a nice guy worth knowing and its not like I don’t need friends in the area, right?

Poor James. I am sure that he didn’t know that I knew that he had a girlfriend who is married with 3 kids. But my mom looks out for me.

James’s girlfriend deserves her own post. The lady’s name is Michelle Lee (pronounced Michelly, which I think is the awesomest name ever.). James told me, over a hand of SYN, that Michelly is into the Fuzzy Animal Thing.

Insert eyebrow raise.

Did you see that episode of Entourage where Turtle had to dress up in the animal costume to get it on with the girl?

Uh-huh.

Wellll anyway. If it hadn’t been in front of his family I would have given him a hard time about it but I decided it would be prudent to stay quiet.

It was an odd night. Where I was labeled as being the quiet, demure one (?ha? like I said, never know which mom is showing up, GTG or SM).

Instead of calling Kay an effing biatch every time she passed me an ace(which was every time I had to pass her something), I deemed her the “Black Hole of Despair” . What can I say? It works for me.

It was a fun trip.

UPDATE: Apparently Christina didn't come back for the second act of the play because the preemie baby she was taking care of for the past six weeks died.

No comments:

Post a Comment