Saturday, March 28, 2009

SOS

I have to get out of Rockport.

Thursday night I met my mom at the Yacht Club for cocktails. And the conversation turned to my job search, which as you know has been going nowhere. I mentioned that I had applied to the Rockport Art Center and luckily two of the ladies know the director and will put in a good word for me. Its just a part time gig and will keep me in drinks and new shoes in the interim.

The idea comes up that I should work for Todd Hunter, our State Senator. So I say, that is a good idea, who knows him? Hmmmm... hmmmm.... Why Burt Mills knows him!

Background: Burt Mills is the former mayor of Rockport. He is famous for getting a DUI for joy riding in the town's new fire truck. It made national news at the time. I went to high school with his kids. I had a mild crush on his son Jeremy. Unfortunately this is one of the few crushes I actually acted upon... and he wasn't into it. And to make matters worse he shagged one of my best friends... which essentially ended that friendship. For some reason she was bewildered that I would be upset about it.

Of course Jeremy is one of the few Rockportians who got his act together and went to school, etc. and is now the town dentist. He has a beautiful wife and they both hang out at the Yacht Club. And all of the Ladies LUUUUUV him. He shmoozes them up when he fixes their crowns and they all think he's the bee's knees.

I smile politely. (full disclosure: about five years ago I was down here visiting and my mom and Kay tried to set me up with him... I was like OMG!!!! NOOOO! But what could I do? Then he totally didn't show up at the Yacht Club. So he basically burned me twice.)

Back to the story at hand. Burt Mills knows Todd Hunter. And who do you suppose walks in at that very moment but Jeremy and his gorgeous wife. The Ladies immediately hail him and tell him that I need a job and could he intro me to Todd Hunter, etc. etc. I am so mortified I could have died on the spot.

I have to get out of Rockport.

So my mom's friend Paula has a stepson, Kevin. The Ladies LUUUUUVVVV Kevin in much the same way they LUUUUUVVVV Jeremy, except in this case I think the adoration is legitimate. He seems very earnest. He is a talented woodworker and is building a beautiful mantle for my mom's fireplace.

Kevin is showing up at the Yacht Club a lot. He asked me to dance at the St. Patricks Day party. Last night he actually called to see if I was there. Kay insisted that we stay out and meet him at Paradise Key.

All of the YC employees were at the Yacht Club because the old manager, Mark was there. Bryan, the regular entertianment at the YC, (he wears a pirate shirt) suggested that I go and read for a play being put on by a local theatre group. They are putting on Picnic, which happens to be the very first play I was in and I had the lead (if you haven't seen it, put it in your Netflix queue, its an excellent movie starring William Holden and Kim Novak). My mom told someone this and they wanted me to try out for it... I declined. But I agreed to read for them because, what the hell else do I have to do since the pool is closed for two weeks?

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that Kevin called this morning and asked if I would like to go to dinner tonight. Now, he is a great guy but I have absolutely no physical attraction for him. Its all very awkward because he is Paula's step son, etc. etc.

So I am probably going to have to go to dinner with him tonight.

fuck.

fuck.

fuck.

I have to get out of Rockport.

No comments:

Post a Comment